Verifying Information in Challenging Environments for Citizen Monitors
- You will never have 100% certainty of the reliability of the sources unless you know them personally. Going through this process will help you better determine the authenticity of a source.
- Build a source’s identity by analyzing their various social media profiles, as well as their social media networks to determine influence.
- Confirm the location of the source to figure out where they are getting their information. You want to determine if the source is a primary, secondary or tertiary source.
- The closer the source is to the information you are trying to verify, the more reliable the source.
- Determine the sources location by looking at their user profile and smart phone location, as well as language used in a message and the time stamp.
- Do an online search to see if traditional media or social media used the source before.
- Contact the source directly (with caution) or your social media networks for further validation.