Prior to beginning a budget monitoring effort, there are several considerations to take into account. First, monitoring groups should understand what type of budget they will need to monitor national level or subnational budgets may vary in how they are developed and how there is oversight of expenditures. Second, monitoring groups should fully understand the legal framework that governs how the budget is developed, lines of authority and budgetary oversight regulations.
When you complete this lesson, you will be able to:
- Understand different budget types national vs. subnational budgets;
- Understand the legal framework governing budget development;
- Recognize the political environment needed to conduct a budget monitoring project;
- Determine organization capacity for a monitoring project; and
- Learn to be aware of existing power dynamics among stakeholders.