Nabz Elections Central 2017
On May 19, 2017, Iranians went the polls to elect a new president for a four-year term. While the presidential race understandably received considerable attention domestically and internationally, Iranians also elected more than 133,000 fellow citizens to represent them on village, municipal and regional councils. These elections resulted in sweeping wins for reformists across the country, as well as a number of women in mayoral positions.
Elections are more than just one day and the casting of a ballot. They are part of an ongoing cycle by which citizens participate in the process of delivering a better quality of life, whether at the national, regional or local level. Genuine elections are a fundamental human right; when conducted properly they encourage popular engagement, accountability, and peaceful transfer of power. Even as one election passes, it begins another cycle and offers opportunities to improve the system.
Nabz-Iran has followed elections since 2013 and compiled a series of resources to encourage a more accountable system that involves and responds to citizens. See below to learn more and check back for new materials. You can also see more about the 2016 parliamentary elections.
What Were the Results?
- Maps of Iran Presidential Elections Results (2009-2017)
- A Review of Violations from the 2017 Iranian Elections
- Nabz Nameh - Iranian Women Paving the Way for Participation
How Do Iranian Elections Work?
- Local Elections Primer
- Election Landscape Primer 2017
- Election Cycle Infographic
- Nabz Nameh - Government Structure
- Election Timeline Infographic
- Nabz Nameh - Campaign Financing
What Should Voters Think About?
- Why Participate?
- Selecting a Candidate
- What Are the Roles and Responsibilities of the Local Councils in Iran (Persian)
- What are the Opportunities for Women's Participation in the Process of Local Councils Elections in Iran? (Persian)
- Nabz Nameh - Women in Elections
- Five ways to Participate in the Elections Process Beyond Voting (Persian)
- How Citizens can Participate in the Elections Process: Before Election Day (Persian)
- I voted; What's Next? (Persian)
- How Citizens Can Participate in the Elections Process: After Election Day (Persian)
- How Can Citizens hold Local Authorities Accountable after the Elections? (Persian)
How Can Citizens Promote Accountability?
- Pollwatching Guide
- Pollwatching PowerPoint and Webinar recording (Persian)
- Secrecy of Ballot PowerPoint and Webinar recording (Persian)
- Secrecy of Ballot game
- Citizen Oversight of Elections course
- Roles and Responsibilities of Local Councils in Iran
- Balance of Power in Iran: Elected vs. Unelected
- Percentage of Female Candidates in the 2017 Local Elections in Iran
- Calendar of the Presidential and City and Village Council Elections in Iran - 2017